Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tizianna Terranova - Network Culture

I don't know if it's just me, but I think this author has the most awesome name ever (sounds like a follow up to a Maserati)! While attempting to analyze this chapter, I was hoping to grasp the most vital points that Terranova was explaining, and what I grasped was that she demonstrates two insights that describe our contemporary culture of network communications, and how it is influenced and distracted by "white noise" rather than information. I also agree that this idea of noise is overshadowing information that is being sent through different channels, and that the noise is prohibiting or delaying the sending of messages.

I liked the statement Terranova stated about how contemporary culture is like a kaleidoscope where each segment is this culture presents differences within the culture that has its own specific reflection. I also found interesting how there are different types of information, specifically two types of information that are known as material, and immaterial, which I am inferencing is more abstract than material information.

The last point that I was able to comprehend was that information is content of our communication. To me, that means without information, we are unable to communicate; information affects the ways in which we send, receive, and process messages to each other, and noise becomes a concern for allowing us to communicate through networks.

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you grappling with the text. You might think more about the way that Terranova wants to separate information from content. Information theory is more interested in the channel than in what goes through the channel. This leaves us in a situation where we can have multiple channels saying all sorts of things. And here's the rub: we've been told that more opinions and more channels are more democratic and thus better. But if the content basically doesn't matter, then all the messages could be wrong, and the "democracy" of the situation doesn't change. So Terranova is trying to get us to think about the political dynamic set in motion in our informational milieu.

    ReplyDelete